Bani Unayf Mosque

From WikiHaj
The Bani Unayf Mosque
General Information
Other NamesMasjid al-Musabbih or al-Subh(morning) Mosque
Placesaudi arabia, Medina, near the Quba Mosque
Time of Construction2021
EventsPerforming prayer of the Prophet (PBUH)
Current State


Loading map...

The Bani Unayf Mosque is one of the historical mosques in the city of Medina, built at the location where Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) used to pray. This mosque is situated near the Quba Mosque. The Bani Unayf Mosque is also known as the Masjid Musabbih or Morning Mosque. Although it had been in ruins throughout history, it was reconstructed in the year 1442 Hijri (2021 CE).


The location of the mosque is next to the fortresses of the Bani Unayf tribe on a hill, a few hundred meters southwest of the Quba Mosque, alongside the Ghassan Warehouses and behind the water purification facility for drinking water.[1]


The reason for naming this mosque Bani Unayf is because its construction is located in the settlement area of the Bani Unayf tribe. Bani Unayf was a branch of the Bani Qilah tribe and, according to some accounts, were remnants of the 'Amaleeqa.[2] Additionally, the mosque is renowned as Masjid al-Musabbih or al-Subh(morning) Mosque due to the Prophet (PBUH) performing the Fajr (dawn) prayer there.


There are three narrations regarding the prayer of the prophet in this mosque:

first narration

The Prophet (PBUH) performed the Fajr (dawn) prayer in the location of this mosque upon his migration to the city of Medina.

second narration

When Imam Ali (AS) migrated from Mecca to Medina after the Prophet, the Prophet (PBUH) performed the Fajr (dawn) prayer at the location of this mosque to welcome him.

third narration

Prophet (PBUH), when visiting Talhah ibn Bara', performed a prayer near the fortresses of the Bani Unayf tribe. The Bani Unayf tribe sprinkled water on that place so that its location would not be forgotten. After some time, they built a mosque at that location, which is the same as the Bani Unayf Mosque.[3]


Old Reports

Historical records narrate the existence of this mosque in earlier centuries. Matari (673 AH), Firoozabadi (729 AH), Abu al-Baqa' al-Maki (854 AH), Samhudi (911 AH), and Abbasi have spoken about this mosque. In the early 14th century, Ali ibn Musa describes this mosque as follows:

On the Harrah, near a garden known as 'Qawim,' there is a small mosque without a roof known as Musabbih. When the Prophet (PBUH) migrated to Medina, this mosque was along his route."

Reports from the 14th and 15th centuries

Khayyari (1380 AH) states about this mosque: 'This mosque is located next to the Ghassan Warehouses, southwest of Quba. To its west, there are the forts of Musabbih and Thaniyat al-Wada', where the Prophet (PBUH) was welcomed by the people of Mecca.

Ibrahim Ayyashi says: 'From the remnants of this mosque, I found only a mosque located on the elevation of Harrah (rock), to the south of a well that was nearby. Today, this place is known as Musabbih because the Prophet (PBUH) prayed here in the morning.

Sabagh (1420 AH) also, after quoting the location of the mosque as southwest of the Quba Mosque according to Wafa' al-Wafa, says: 'The mosque has a structure with a height of two meters and a roofless body, and inside it, there is a very small mihrab.' After explaining the reason for naming the mosque Musabbih and quoting the narration of Asim ibn Suyyad, he considers the location of the mosque as 'next to the Ghassan Warehouses on the path of the lands of Sheikh Abdulhamid Abbas (known as Abbasieh) that were famous as Qaem in the past.

Report by Engineer Kakaei in the Contemporary Era

In the early 15th century, this mosque faced several instances of destruction, but with the efforts of benefactors, it was reconstructed. The latest reconstruction of the Bani Unayf Mosque took place in the year 1427 Hijri (2006 CE). In this reconstruction, to preserve the mosque's location, its walls were raised to a height of one meter and 80 centimeters. Engineer Kakaei visited this mosque in the years 1413 and 1429 Hijri, taking photographs of it."


Images before Reconstruction

Images after Reconstruction


  1. Khīyārī, Tārīkh maʿālimal-madīna al-munawwara, p. 175; Samhūdī, Wafāʾ al-wafā, vol. 3, p. 245-246; ʿAbdu-l Ghanī, Al-Masājid al-Atharīyya, p. 41.
  2. Khīyārī, Tārīkh maʿālimal-madīna al-munawwara, p. 28.
  3. Maṭarī, Al-Taʿrīf bimā ʾānasat al-hijra, p. 217; Samhūdī, Wafāʾ al-wafā, vol. 3, p. 245.


  • ʿAbdu-l Ghanī, Muḥammad ʾIlyās. Al-Masājid al-Atharīyya fī al- madīna al-munawwara. Medina: [n.p], 2000.
  • Khīyārī, Sayyid Aḥmad Yāsīn.Tārīkh maʿālimal-madīna al-munawwara qadīman wa ḥadīthan. Riyadh: al-Amāna alʿāmma li-liḥtifāl miʾat ʿām ʿalā tʾsīs al-mamlika al- ʿarabiyya al-suʿūdiyya, 1419 AH/1999.
  • Maṭarī, Muḥammad b. Aḥmad al-. Al-Taʿrīf bimā ʾānasat al-hijra min maʿālim dār al-hijra. Riyadh: Dār al-malik ʿAbdu-l ʿAzīz, 2005.
  • Samhūdī, ʿAlī b. ʿAbd Allāh. Wafāʾ al-wafā bi akhbār dar al-Muṣṭafā. Edited by Muḥammad Muḥyi al-Dīn ʿAbd al-Ḥamīd. Beirut: 1984.